Dry rot can ruin any type of wood anywhere in your home, and that includes the roof! Dry rot is caused by a fungus that infects the wood. It spreads due to lack of ventilation from a source of moisture, and can weaken the roof deck and sheathing.
Here are some steps to protect your roof from dry rot.
- Keep your attic at a moderate temperature year round to prevent moisture buildup.
- Have your roof checked by a roof professional to look for signs of water damage, mold, or dry rot.
- Install a roof ventilation system, such as ridge vents, soffit vents or attic fans.
- Remove roof debris which can block water runoff on your roof and cause it to back up.
- Repair cracked or loose roofing shingles, and replace missing shingles.
Need your roof checked for signs of dry rot? Call the experts at J Adams Roofing! Call us today to schedule your FREE roofing consultation today!
DIYNetwork.com; Top 10 Roofing Tips http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/rooms-and-spaces/exterior/top-10-roofing-tips
Networx; What Is Dry Rot and How Can You Prevent It? http://www.networx.com/article/dry-rot